Facebook

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Infolinks In Text Ads

Meralco - Ridiculous



It's a bit off-topic, but I figured I (like so many others) had to post about my surprise, dissatisfaction, and concerns regarding my recent electricity bill.   Most of us who currently reside in Manila were pre-warned of a hike in electricity costs, but were not prepared for such a drastic increase.  My bill this month (refer to picture below) was more then double what it usually is month-over-month which lately has been an achievement for e since I have lived here in the Philippines.  The first two years that I lived here, my electricity bill (through my own ignorance) was roughly 12-20k a month.  This past year I finally moved to a condo and through smart consumption got my bill down to roughly 7k at most per month.  Now with this hike and no increase in usage it has more then doubled.  What gives??  My Condo in Manila, which is a 2 bedroom unit and 4-5 times smaller then my house in the US averages an electricity bill of roughly 130 USD a month compared to my bill in the US which is roughly around 150 USD a month.   In the US however, I have central A/C which I leave on 24/7 including most of my lights and electronics (and I don't unplug anything.)  In comparison with this new "hike," my electricity bill here in Manila is now well over 300 USD.  How does any of that make sense?

I am not a filipino citizen nor am I filipino, but as someone who currently works and resides in this country, I am impacted.  Although it is a "small" amount to me, looking at the big picture, I find it a bit ridiculous.  If you look at the average income of most people working in the Philippines and compare it to the average cost of living, this hike in electricity cost is daunting.  As mentioned before, I am paying more for less here compared to my overall monthly consumption in the US.  This company definitely has a firm grasp and monopoly over power and electricity in the Philippines and should be regulated by the government.  If interested, you can become a fan of the Facebook page against Meralco.

Protest against MERALCO electricity price hike

5 comments

  1. the per kilowatt hour charge by MERALCO is to high for us to pay we openly not use our appliances just to save. my computer already has spider web for not using. Ridiculous

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to inform everyone that there are now protest events being held against the Meralco price hikes on Facebook:

    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=108358085872220&ref=mf

    If it is possible, your support/suggestions/advice/involvement would be greatly appreciated.

    Kind Regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. meralco is stupid for charging me 800 pesos system loss for a non existent groups of people that steal electricity. the group was relocated somewhere else for 7 YEARS ALREADY and that is 300-500families. top of it, out of that group.. only 1% steal electricity since meralco forced them to steal.

    if you are 3 days late in paying your bill you will get disconnected and reconnection will take at least 7 days from the stated 3hours reconnection.

    each loss the lopez declare is always in sync with hiring newly high wage employees/artis in ABS-CBN a lopez owned media company or a new opening or expansion of a Lopez owned power plant.

    current electricity usage 100kwh and paying 3500pesos with an actual 900pesos electricity bill, the rest are padded fees having system loss taking the top lead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. panay sila taas ng singil wala din nmn sila ginagastos gusto nila kumita ng di namuhunan lahat ipinapasa nila sa consumer gastos nila bakit kong nalulugi sila e bakit ang mga nagwowork sa kanila ki lalaki ng sweldo at alowances tas ki yayabang pa

    ReplyDelete

 

Popular Posts

Donate

Followers

Facebook